Saturday, November 15, 2008

Yummy goodness

So as the weather is a little cooler - even for Florida. And the AC is turned off so the oven starts to get more use. It is just hard to even consider turning that hot box on when it is over 80 degrees outside - and humid.

Today has been a cool day and a wonderful day to turn on the oven instead of turning on a heater to get the damp chill out. During the week I don't tend to cook much, but the weekends carry the chance to get lost in a bit of kitchen experimentation.

What was on the menu today? These muffins! The recipe is wonderful and they really aren't that bad for you. I made them last weekend and added some dried blueberries that I happened to have on hand. Really wonderful. This time I added some chocolate and coconut. Don't let the fact that it is vegan scare you off - I'm a vegetarian myself but I used regular butter instead of soy butter it mentions. The true plus is how sweet they are without a lot of sugar. The best tip to share is that these are better if you can bear to let them cool. The warm muffins are a little more bland and stick their muffin paper. Somehow they are 20 times better after they cool.

We also made a batch of corn muffins. Kind of sweet corn muffins, but they turned out well.

And since the oven was already on, I threw in a butternut squash to roast. Although, I'm not quite sure what I am going to do with it yet. Better to cook it while the oven was on for something else - than to have to turn it on just to roast the one squash.

No comments: