Monday, December 8, 2008

Beans for beginners

I was talking with a friend and fellow vegetarian the other day about some of our favorite recipes. I believe that beans are a wonderful staple for every one's diet but is even more true of vegetarians and vegans.

Beans are good for us, filling, and cheap. Dry beans are cheaper and more pure than what is canned. No don't get me wrong, I'm do eat canned food but when I feel something is better for me and cheaper I love it.

The biggest problem is most beans need to be soaked and have long cooking times. My solution? My trusty crock pot. I rinse the beans in cool water, dump them into the crock pot with enough water to cover them by a few inches. Cut the crock pot on low and walk away.

Beans can be added to nearly any dish to fill it out or make it more hardy. They also accept most flavorings really well, so experimentation is key.

No comments: